If life throws lemons at you, make lemonade?
Nope. Make lemon cupcakes.
And stock rest of the lemons for some exciting and zesty recipes that will soon follow.
Life (a small lemon tree in my house) did throw some deep green lemons of unbelievable size. They were awfully tangy, contorting our faces in all directions. They had to be put to use. No doubt that if the fruit was so tangy, its zest wouldn’t be far behind. That zest was perfect for any recipe that called for zesty citrusy flavour. The first thing that struck was lemon cake. So here I am, back to basics. Back to doing what I did best. Baking.
Here is a no fuss recipe for making a citrusy lemon cupcake for your morning breakfast or for those impromptu hunger pangs. If this cant lift your mood up, I dont think anything else will. Try it anyway.
Ingredients for Zesty Lemon Cupcakes:
- 1 cup wholewheat flour (or refined flour if you like)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 – 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Sugar (or as sweet as you like)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or butter)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla pulp from the pod (or essence)
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
How to make your Zesty Lemon Cupcakes::
- Grease your baking dish with oil/butter. Dust flour and shake it all off.
- Heat oven to 150 degree centigrade.
- Work up the dry ingredients. Sieve the flour along with baking powder and keep it aside.
- Work with the wet ingredients. Beat eggs till fluffy. Add everything other than the flour. Grate in lemon zest in the end. Mix well.
- Fold in the flour gently in the wet mixture.
- Pour the batter into your cupcake baking dish.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or till done.
- Have patience till it cools down for it is tough to withstand the aroma of lemons and vanilla.
Its great for kids (adults notwithstanding) as it has wholewheat and less amount of oil and sugar. You could add some dried citrus peels for another flavour kick.
If you are fond of dressing your cupcakes, make simple lemony mixture with butter, powdered sugar and lemon juice and smoothen it over the cupcakes.
Do share how the recipe turned out for you.
Or even better, share your lemony recipe with me.
There are many lemons calling here.