My kitchen has turned into a carrot cake factory since past two weeks. Requests by mom and kids to make this cake have driven me crazy. But that also gave me a great opportunity to tweak my carrot cake recipe many times to arrive at the best carrot cake ever made, atleast by me.
More carrots, less sugar, more whole-wheat, less spice, more nuts, etc… the tweaking options are plenty. But the one tweak I love the most and also have my kid hooked is healthiest carrot cake with lots of carrots, less sugar, less oil, more nuts and presto!! We have been enjoying some real moist, tasty and nutritious carrot cakes and carrot cupcakes for many occasions.
I have been a fan of carrot cake since my childhood. I was introduced to it by my mother’s friend who baked it for me for any special occasion. Soft, sweet, spongy, dreamy and sans-icing, were her yummy carrot cakes. Since then, I have believed that cakes need no icing to go with. Well made and well baked cakes are all we need to bite into. Icing the cake of course is ‘icing on the cake’.
Every carrot cake recipe calls for cream cheese icing which has become a de-facto standard for presenting carrot cake. But this one urges you to enjoy your guilt free carrot cake which has oodles of carrot and all other great ingredients that make it healthy, yet so tasty. This carrot cake recipe calls for no frosting or icing. This batter can also be scooped into cupcake papers to make tasty carrot cupcakes, an all-time favorite with kids.
I have gone light on adding the spice and I wanted more of carrot flavor in the cake. Cinnamon is a great ingredient for carrot cakes as it adds wonderful spice and aroma, even to fresh fruit cakes such as the Apple Cinnamon Cake. You can add host of goodies such as chocolate chips, more cinnamon, nutmeg, garam masala, exotic nuts, chocolate, bananas, other fruits and more to make it interesting. But to begin with, here is the basic carrot cake batter.
Here is my favorite carrot cake recipe – baked to perfection.
Ingredients for Carrot Cake:
- Refined Flour/ Maida or Wholewheat Flour – 1 cup
- Finely chopped/ grated carrots – 1 1/2 cup
- Vegetable Oil – 1/2 or 3/4 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Eggs 2
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Vanilla – few drops (optional)
- Chopped Walnuts/ Almonds/ Raisins/ Dates/ etc – 1 cup
How to Make the Carrot Cake in just 5 Steps:
1) Grease baking dish with oil and dust with flour. Keep aside.
2) Sift flour along with baking powder and salt. Keep aside.
3) Whisk eggs, add all the ingredients except the flour.
4) Fold in the chopped nuts. Finally fold in the flour mixture gently.
5) Pour the batter in the greased baking dish and bake at 160 degrees centigrade for about 25 minutes.Skewer test it to see if it is done.
Try this recipe to get the best, warm, fuzzy carrot cake that is not only healthy but tastes great. Drop a line for me if this recipe did wonders to your baking escapdes.