Love cakes? Love to bake and eat? Love apples? Then it is time to bake the perfect apple cake. Even if you don’t like to eat apples, you will end up eating the cake for sure.
Apple Cake with Cinnamon is a classic coffee cake that looks great, tastes great and gives a good nutritional boost. I wonder if there is any other cake which is so delicious, healthy, wholesome and yummy at the same time. An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but a slice of an apple cake will definitely keep those blues away. The first time I tried making the apple cake, I was very skeptical of using apples in it and wondered about the final outcome. As the baking life went by, this cake reigns for it fills the stomach, satisfies the sweet-something craving, renders a spicy taste in the mouth, and gives the wholesome goodness of having eaten the right stuff instead of indulging in not-so healthy baked options. I just love the heady scent of the apple cake with cinnamon being baked.
Here is the Standard Recipie for Apple Cake with Cinnamon Notes. I have my baking notes at the end of the recipie where I have introduced variations and made this cake tastier and healthier.
2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Sugar
¾ Cup Oil and a small dollop of butter
3-4 Apples – Diced or sliced
2 tsp – Cinnamon (Freshly Ground)
½ tsp Salt (optional)
2 tsp Baking Powder
½ Cup Milk
To make your own perfect apple cake:
Grease baking dish with butter or oil and dust some flour on it. Set the oven to 170-180 degrees for 10 minutes.
Sieve flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder and salt.
Beat eggs (till fluffy), add sugar, butter and oil together.
Fold in the flour mixture. Use milk to ensure that the batter is smooth enough and sticks to the mixing spoon.
Add apple chunks. Pour the mixture in the greased baking dish. If you like, dust cinnamon on top.
Bake for half hour or till the done.
My notes on baking the Perfect Apple Cinnamon Cake
- Don’t use a mixer or blender for the batter. Try to do it manually. Beat the eggs till fluffy, add other ingredients and so on. I don’t know and don’t care why, but the cakes turn out softer and seem to have a character of their own.
- Instead of refined flour/ maida/ self raising flour, opt for whole wheat flour as it gives the cake a nice texture while making it healthy and wholesome. For drama, I sometimes add 3 teaspoons of rolled oats or broken wheat grains.
- Sugar is any cake’s necessary nectar. But for the fresh apple cake, drastically reduce the sugar as the apples impart a good amount of sweetness to the cake. I like that applesque flavour to reign rather than biting into a sweet cake with a hint of apple. For the above recipie, I only use half cup of sugar. You can increase the amount of apples to make the mixture sweeter.
- Compared to butter, oil gives the cake a good texture, and consistency to the batter. Oil also keeps the cake moist later. Aim to use oil as a medium to make the batter better, instead of using it as a main ingredient. Throw in a little butter for no-compromise on taste.
- Salt is optional but I recommend its use as it brings out the best of the cinnamon. Moreover, I don’t like a cake that tastes only sweet, sweet and sweet all along. Milk or sour curd is an optional taste enhancer. Be experimental here.
- Apples – Diced/ sliced, crushed, or whatever – they are going to get cooked anyway. Keep the apple skin intact for it imparts good taste and a wonderful texture to the cake. Not to mention the goodness of those nutrients.
- Cinnamon – Always try to grind it just before making the cake. There is a world of difference in using packed cinnamon powder and freshly grinding it. If you are fond of that spicy flavour and scent, be generous in sprinkling cinnamon in and on your cake.
- I do not use any icing or topping for the cake itself is tasty and does not need embellishment.
It is not now time for you to bake and let me know how it went. If you do any interesting variations, let me know. I will try it out too